Summer Meal Inspiration
One of the hardest things about trying to eat seasonally is not knowing where to begin. Starting with, what's in season? It can be hard to know since we have access to many foods all year round in the grocery store.
I created the Seasonal Meal Planning journal to help women simplify their meal planning systems, but one thing I didn't include was suggestions! So I want to do that here on the blog to make your meal planning as effortless as possible.
I spent some time last week filling out my SMP journal with my recipes for the summer. I left some meal slots open because I know my creative juices will get flowing and I want to leave room for new recipes I might create during the summer.
Summer means lots of picnics, walks around the neighborhood or our local square, fun treats involving basil, mint, strawberries, and ice cream (!!), and SLOWING DOWN. It's my favorite food season for sure, where I get absolutely giddy about the vibrant color on our plates. Summer food feels a lot lighter to me, which is much needed after a winter full of stocks, soups, stews, chili's.....you get the idea.
I ended up with 22 meals that I am planning to make in rotation throughout the summer, while planning to have some weeks where we go out to eat, and some weeks where I try something new. My goals for summer eating are: eat fewer grains, lots of seasonal fruits and veggies, a good variety of no-brainer recipes that take 10 minutes to make, and to use my garden! I left a few without links because the recipes will be in my upcoming cookbook (hopefully out this fall!). Some others are swirling around in my head so look for them on the blog soon.
Before I share what we'll be eating this summer, I thought I would first share what's in season during the summer - to hopefully inspire you as you create your own meal plan for the summer.
SUMMER SEASONAL ROUND UP
- strawberries, blueberries, raspberries
- brats, sausages
- heirloom tomatoes
- multicolored cherry tomatoes
- peaches (grilled! yum!)
- summer squash (including zucchini)
Although not all of these show up in our dinner rotation for the month, I have some ideas to use some of these items in fun treats and snacks, so stay tuned on the blog for that to come!
OUR SUMMER MEALS
- Grilled brats with sauteed collard greens
- Summer pizza and watermelon or spinach and apple slaw
- Chicken, plum and tomato salad
- Coconut Thai baked chicken legs with grilled corn or cilantro lime chickpea salad
- Stuffed eggplant
- Cilantro lime crock pot tacos
- Puerto Rican garbanzos with sausage over rice
- Pineapple chicken skewers with roasted herb potatoes
- Dad's spaghetti meat sauce over zoodles, broccoli, or roasted eggplant
- Texas stuffed peppers
- Tomato basil frittata
- Greek turkey burgers with fruit
- Maple mustard grilled chicken with sweet potato mash
- Meatballs over broccoli
- Baked spaghetti squash with spinach pesto
- BBQ enchiladas
- Chicken with creamy mushroom and leek sauce
- Meatloaf with cheesy potatoes au gratin
- Curried chicken over rice or curried vegetables
- Mediterranean burgers with grilled zucchini with yummy lemon salt
- Peach and prosciutto pizza
- Beef, leek and carrot galette
I hope this is helpful!! What will you be cooking up this summer?