Whole 30 Berry Crunch Bowl
One thing that kept me from doing a Whole30 was the thought of not having snacks. A few of my typical snacks at the time were: greek yogurt with nuts, seeds and honey, toast with peanut or almond butter, or some kind of date-filled energy bar. None of these are bad snack options, but definitely not Whole30 approved.
The Whole30 program encourages you not to eat too many snacks, or rely on them daily but rather to eat 3 bigger meals that are full of healthy protein, fats and carbs (vegetables) so that you stay full longer and your hunger hormones start cycling properly. Here's what a moderator on the Whole30 forum said about it:
"Grazing or eating lots of meals distorts the natural rhythms of your hormones. The ideal for them to work is to space meals 4 to 5 hours apart. So the focus on this approach is three main meals with pre- and post-workout meals and snacks as needed. We don't want you to be hungry during a Whole30 and you can eat a snack if you are hungry, but it is best if you eat substantial meals 3, maybe 4 times per day and don't need snacks."
I've actually seen this to be true. I can go so much longer between meals without "needing" a snack to get through or being overly hungry. Though a snack for me is usually a hard boiled egg or a scoop of almond butter these days, this berry crunch bowl can be a great option whenever you do need a little something - getting in some good protein and fat to keep you full as your body adjusts and whenever the time comes where you just need a little snack :) And, it's toddler approved!
- 2 tablespoons coconut cream (thick part on top of canned full fat coconut milk)
- 1/3 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/3 cup berries (any berries will work, I love raspberries and strawberries)
- 1/2 a banana, sliced (optional)
- sprinkle of cinnamon
- Do not shake the can of coconut milk, but open it and scoop out some of the cream sitting on top, placing it in a small bowl.
- Add nuts and coconut flakes, berries, banana if you're using it, and a sprinkle of cinnamon over top.
- Optional step: Microwave for 20 seconds or so if you want this warm. Enjoy!