Easy Chicken + Black Bean Enchiladas
Hello quick weeknight meals that can be prepped ahead...come to me! And praise Jesus for enchiladas because ever since I started getting Rae in the kitchen with me, she has been screaming "hep!!" (help) every time I go in there! Rae can certainly help roll up tortillas and sprinkle cheese, so this is a fun one to make together.
I'll usually cook the chicken for this meal in the morning while I'm getting ready - it's that easy. That way everything is ready to go in the afternoon. It'll often serve as an afternoon activity for Rae and I, and even with a toddler's help, it only takes about 15 minutes to prep before going into the oven.
This dish does well in the freezer, just prep everything without pouring the salsa verde on top of the tortillas or the cheese. Let it cool on the counter before covering with foil and freezing. When you are ready to eat, simply thaw, add salsa verde and grated cheese and bake as directed.
You can also feel free to add more beans and less chicken if you want to stretch out your meat for the week and save some money, as we often do!
- 1-2 chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 (16 ounce) jar of salsa verde
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- Cooking spray
- 8-9 tortillas
- Shredded cheese, any kind (we like using the Mexican blend or Colby Jack)
Preheat oven to 350 F
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and place chicken breast in the pot, boiling for 20 minutes.
- Drain the water from the pot and shred chicken. Add 2 tablespoons of taco seasoning to the chicken and mix.
- Pour half the jar of salsa verde into the same pot, along with the shredded chicken and black beans (undrained).
- Spray an 8x11 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spoon the chicken and black bean mixture into tortillas, rolling them up and place them in your baking dish.
- Once all the tortillas have been rolled up, pour the remaining salsa verde over the top of the tortillas.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese over the tortillas.
- Bake for 20 minutes and enjoy!